MCLC: blocked sites?

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Fri Oct 3 08:05:42 EDT 2014

MCLC LIST
blocked sites?
From: Lena Scheen <lena.scheen at nyu.edu>
I wondered if anyone on this list has a (technical) explanation on how the Chinese government blocks certain sites when you use a VPN?  So far I could always access all blocked sites when I used a VPN, but since the protests in Hong Kong certain sites are no longer accessible, like New York Times (for two days) and the South China Morning Post (still not accessible). I know that people outside of China (including Hong Kong) could access these sites, so they are/were not down…
Many thanks!
Lena Scheen
NYU Shanghai
by denton.2 at osu.edu on October 3, 2014