MCLC: modern China reimagined in ancient painting

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Mon Nov 24 09:17:11 EST 2014

MCLC LIST
modern China reimagined in ancient painting
Source: ChinaSmack (11/23/14)
Modern China Reimagined in Famous 12th Century Chinese Painting
Chinese artist and photographer Dai Xiang recently exhibited at the 2014 Lianzhoufoto Festival, his reinterpretations of the famous Song Dynasty painting “Along the River During the Qingming Festival”(清明上河图). By inserting modern scenes into an ancient backdrop, Dai Xiang cleverly depicted numerous “incidents” in recent years across China, including popular topics such as chengguan, forced demolition, prostitution, gutter oil, among many others. Netizens praised his work as an embodiment of modern Chinese society.
Artist description of his work:
An Account of the Creation of “The Riverside Scene at Qingming Festival”
>From planning to completion, this work has taken two and a half years. Based on the structure of Zhang Zeduan’s “The Riverside Scene at Qingming Festival”, i made a complete transformation in terms of both characters and events. Relying on the present, my work intends to cross the boundaries of time and space by incorporating the typical phenomenon of China in the form of dramatic posing. Realistically, this work brings to the foreground the conflict between the imported Western culture and Chinese traditional worldviews since China’s reform and opening-up. Technically, I intended to violate the laws of optics, putting multiple perspectives together so as to create an in-depth panorama, with the emphasis on the layout of all details. “I” as a sign played various roles from all walks of life, both as an onlooker and a participant, indicating the inherent connection and conflict among all elements, experiencing all kinds of stories in the process of China’s modernization.
From Sina Weibo:
@马向明微博: The new “Along the River During the Qingming Festival”. It’s artist Dai Xiang explained that it took him 2 years using over 1,000 photographs to complete this work.
“My dad is Li Gang incident”
Blow-up doll in front of a sex shop
Prostitution raid in China
Demolition Slogan: “The earlier you sign the relocation agreement, the earlier you’ll live a happy life”.
Time-travelling woman
Ruthless chengguan city managers
“Holding a body for ransom incident”
Government officials inspecting construction
by denton.2 at osu.edu on November 24, 2014