MCLC: anti-West rhetoric (2)

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Wed Nov 12 10:34:04 EST 2014

MCLC LIST
anti-West rhetoric (2)
In recent TV drama titled “My brother called Shun Liu”, 我的兄弟叫顺溜,the melody from Hollywood movie “Dances with Wolves” is adopted. I don’t know much about music and copyright issues, but thought the use or “borrowing” from Hollywood quite effective; the melody greatly enhances the quality of this war film against Japanese occupation of China, giving solemnity to the struggle of Chinese soldiers in combat with the Japanese imperial army. This is only one of many instances of appropriation of Western music in recent Chinese film productions. They are pretty successful, not necessarily in financial sense, but in terms of introducing Western musical instruments in Chinese contexts.
Rujie Wang <rwang at wooster.edu>
by denton.2 at osu.edu on November 12, 2014