MCLC: PEN on journalist Gao Yu's disappearance

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Fri May 2 10:47:18 EDT 2014

MCLC LIST
From: pjmooney <pjmooney at me.com>
Subject: PEN on journalist Gao Yu's disappearance

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 1, 2014

PEN Concerned by Disappearance of Chinese Journalist Gao Yu

New York City, May 1, 2014—PEN American Center released the following
statement:

PEN is extremely troubled by the disappearance of veteran journalist Gao
Yu, 70, who has not been heard from since last Thursday and whose current
whereabouts are unknown. Her disappearance came on the eve of
commemorations to mark the 25th anniversary of the student-led Tiananmen
Square protests, for which Gao Yu was jailed for more than a year. A
member of our sister center, the Independent Chinese PEN Center, whose
membership of writers is based both inside and outside China, Gao Yu
contributed an essay

<http://www.pen.org/why-does-communist-party-leadership-still-sing-red-2012

 to PEN’s 2013 report “Creativity and Constraint in Today’s China.” She
is our colleague and friend and we hope to hear news that she is safe and
unharmed very soon, and that she will be free to continue her work with
Deutsche-Welle and her commentary on Twitter.

Contact:
Sarah Hoffman, (212) 334-1660 ext 111, sarah at pen.org

PEN American Center
588 Broadway, Suite 303