MCLC: politics, literature, and culture

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Mon Mar 10 09:29:42 EDT 2014

MCLC LIST
From: Thomas Pickering <thomaspickering919 at gmail.com>
Subject: politics, literature, and culture

This venue has gradually been overtaken during the past months by a small
group of people with a political mission that has nothing to do with the
intended focus of this forum. Although politics and culture overlap they
are distinct areas of study, and out of respect for the interests of list
members should generally be treated separately. Those who wish to
broadcast their anti-Chinese government polemics would be better served if
they would take their arguments off to the many relevant blogs that exist
for airing that topic. If any one of us readers want that particular slant
on Chinese affairs, we can go directly to NYT.

On a related topic I, for one, find the recent excerpt of Wang Lixiong's
writing reproduced here to be more akin to racist Black Panther pamphlet
material from the late 1960s (substitute "White" for "Han" and "Black" for
"Uighur" and change the place names to some in the USA) than an example of
serious modern literature. It is time that we put Modern Chinese
Literature and Modern Chinese Culture back into the MCLC conversation, and
put a little less emphasis on Modern Chinese Politics.

Thomas Pickering