MCLC: communique on the arrest of Ilham Tohti (3)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Thu Mar 6 08:58:35 EST 2014

MCLC LIST
From: Vanessa Frangville <vanessa.frangville at vuw.ac.nz>
Subject: communique on the arrest of Ilham Tohti (3)

Dear All,

I would be curious to know how things are going on Minda's campus where
Ilham Tohti is highly respected by many of his students and colleagues as
a teacher and a researcher. I haven't heard of any of them at all.

Does anyone have any info on how Minda people reacted? I am perfectly
aware that it is already a very sensitive topic and that most of them
would refuse to talk to any media, and I respect this, but I am sure it
doesn't mean that, internally, his colleagues and students haven't tried
anything to help Tohti.

Besides, at least three of his students have been arrested: any info? This
is also extremely concerning.

All the Best,
Vanessa