MCLC: communique on the arrest of Ilham Tohti (1,2)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Wed Mar 5 08:43:55 EST 2014

MCLC LIST
From: Hongjian Wang <hw001 at uark.edu>
Subject: communique on the arrest of Ilham Tohti (1)

Dear all,

I'm wondering what we can do to help Prof. Ilham Tohti. At this high
moment of tension between Uyghur and Han, the Han people should listen
more attentively to the voice from the other side, especially those who
adopt an objective and just stance and are willing to work for real mutual
understanding and sustainable cooperation. The problem in Xinjiang is not
just about conflicts between different ethnic groups. Corruption,
discrimination, exploitation, lack of legal justice, despair, hatred,
violence...the plight of Xinjiang is that of China. Racism mingled with
fear and hatred stems from ignorance. We not only cannot afford losing
Prof. Ilham Tohti but also are in bad need of more of him.

Deeply upset and concerned,

Hongjian

From: pjmooney <pjmooney at me.com>
Subject: communique on the arrest of Ilham Tohti (2)

Dear Professors Lee, Dodane, and Villard,

Thanks for posting this statement is support of Professor Ilham Tohti. No
one who knows anything about him could ever believe that the economics
professor had any connection at all with separatist forces or that he ever
advocated violence. If the Chinese government can make such absurd claims
about a person as moderate and respected as Professor Ilham Tohti, than it
makes everything the government says about people like him highly suspect.

Paul