MCLC: debate over Confucius Institutes (3)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Fri Jun 27 09:09:13 EDT 2014

MCLC LIST
From: angelo zito <arz2 at nyu.edu>
Subject: debate over Confucius Institutes (3)

I noticed something interesting when I checked out the debate today, and
post it apropos of the accusation by Michael Hill that this debate is an
example of  "lazy bicoastal journalism".   Assuming he means the China
File stuff, I offer this paragraph from the site:

http://www.chinafile.com/Debate-Over-Confucius-Institutes#comment-496

Update: Several readers have noted with dismay that this Conversation does
not include an entry by someone who works for or with a Confucius
Institute. We share this concern. We have solicited responses to our
original question—and to the discussion as it has developed—from numerous
employees of universities that have Confucius Institutes as well as from
people who teach at Confucius Institutes, and people who work with and for
Hanban. So far, none of the people in the above categories whom we have
approached has been willing or able to contribute. We welcome such
contributions. —The Editors

Michael Hill may not have seen it. Surely a general unwillingness to
publicly engage speaks to the main point here about forms of
self-censorship. As several of the commentators have noted, that
self-censorship is performed silently and thus can go unremarked.

Angelo Zito