MCLC: Chen Xiwo's "I'm Hurt" (1)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Fri Jun 20 09:53:31 EDT 2014

MCLC LIST
From: Nicky Harman <n.harmanic at gmail.com>
Subject: Chen Xiwo's "I'm Hurt" (1)

Here is an update on the Chen Xiwo posting:

A collection of Chen Xiwo's novellas will be published in English in
October this year. They include 《我疼》translated as "Pain", and mentioned
as
part of the People's Literature Publishing House collection. As far as I
can tell, most of the other stories are different, but I can't be certain.
The translated collection is "The Book of Sins", published by Make Do
Publishing (HK/UK), translated by me, out October 2014, ISBN
978-988-16775-6-3.

It's true Chen doesn't pull his punches but I disagree with Li Jingze that
his writing is entirely depressing. He's a perceptive, humane writer, and
many of his stories make you smile as well as wince. Chen Xiwo and the
publisher will be touring the UK to launch The Book of Sins, and Chen will
be blogging on the English PEN website (http://www.englishpen.org
<http://www.englishpen.org/>) in October too.

Nicky