MCLC: Shen Haobo and Yi Sha poems (1)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Thu Jun 19 10:34:10 EDT 2014

MCLC LIST
From: martin winter (dujuan99 at gmail.com)
Subject: Shen Haobo and Yi Sha poems (1)

Shen Haobo and Yi Sha are interesting starting points for issues like
independence, political themes and staying close to daily life and
ordinary language. These questions go back to the "underground" times of
contemporary poetry heroes like Mang Ke 芒克, Shizhi 食指, Huang Xiang 黄翔,
Yan
Li 严力, Duo Duo 多多,Han Dong 韩东, and many others.

Female poets are often neglected. Can you imagine the 1980s and early
1990s without Shu Ting 舒婷?

Chun Sue 春树 (born 1983) is well-known for her book Beijing Doll. As a
punk-poet, she has captured the mood and the situation of her generation.
Recently I have translated three of her poems. One is called AVENUE OF
ETERNAL PEACE:

http://banianerguotoukeyihe.com/2014/06/03/avenue-of-eternal-peace-chun-sue
/

China Digital Times (chinadigitaltimes.net
<http://chinadigitaltimes.net/>) has published two great poems by Shen
Haobo - "My Motherland is Not Made of Love" and "On the Plateau". The
latter one deals with self-immolation.

How do you translate “祖國” ? Zheng Xiaoqiong has a poem called " 给祖国“

http://banianerguotoukeyihe.com/2013/09/13/to-my-country/

See also AT THE HOSPITAL:

http://banianerguotoukeyihe.com/2014/06/05/at-the-hospital-zheng-xiaoqiong/

and poems from her recent book 女工记:

http://banianerguotoukeyihe.com/2013/05/15/100-women-workers%E9%83%91%E5%B0
%8F%E7%90%BC%EF%BC%9A%E5%A5%B3%E5%B7%A5/

and

http://banianerguotoukeyihe.com/2014/05/27/anonym-zheng-xiaoqiong/

Poetry International Web has poems by Zheng Xiaoqiong and texts about her:

http://www.poetryinternationalweb.net/pi/site/poet/item/24307/Zheng-Xiaoqio
ng

Jonathan Stalling has translations of Zheng's poems and videos of a
reading and an interview:

http://www.tupeloquarterly.com/sunset-by-zheng-xiaoqiong-translated-by-jona
than-stalling-and-xian-liqiang/,

http://theconversant.org/?p=7204