MCLC: Leftover Monologues casting call

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Wed Jun 4 08:56:16 EDT 2014

MCLC LIST
From: Roseann Lake <roseann.m.lake at gmail.com>
Subject: Leftover Monologues casting call

Casting Call! "Leftover Monologues" - a spin-off of the "Vagina Monologues"

Calling all thespians, male and female, seasoned and completely new to the
theater scene!

At the end of July 2014, we'll be staging China's first-ever rendition of
the "Leftover Monologues." Structured similarly to the "Vagina
Monologues," (don't worry if you've never heard of or seen that play),
ours is a play that strives to unite a dozen or so brazen Chinese (and
foreign) voices in a stirring evening of entertainment and insight into
the complexities of love, sex, marriage and relationships in China - with
an emphasis on the unrealistic societal pressures/expectations that
accompany all of the above.

How we plan to pull this off:

A stunning theatrical venue in central Beijing has already very graciously
agreed to host us. We have a solid sketch of how we'd like the narrative
of our play to evolve, and now we've finally gotten to the most critical
part - the bit where we begin actively recruiting the talent we need to
infuse this play with the feeling and searing zeitgeist we hope it will
convey!

How it works:

In conjunction with our director, you choose a topic or story that you'd
like to deliver a 7-12 minute monologue about. That's right - you, the
stage, a spotlight, and a captive audience. (Think of this like a TED
talk, but with more dramatic lighting and a razzling rooftop BBQ after
party). The topic or story you choose to tell should be loosely centered
around love, sex, relationships, marriage, and societal
pressure/expectations with regards to those, though we are very open to
hearing your ideas. A topic or story that makes your blood boil, or your
heart soar - we want to hear it all.

After you've told us about your topic and we've worked together to weave
it into the larger scope of our play, you take all the creative liberties
you'd like to prepare your "monologue" about it. Rehearsals will primarily
take place independently, though as production time nears, we'll practice
together to iron out any remaining creases. (We know talented people are
all very busy, so we promise not to take up much of your time). Then, come
the end of July, we'll piece all of the stories together for...showtime!

*Please note: if you like the idea of contributing a topic or story but
are a bit stage shy, do not despair! We have an abundant supply of
oversized hats and stage makeup if you prefer to perform incognito. We are
also happy to accept a monologue that you suggest or prepare, then assign
an actor to perform it for you. True stories or those loosely based on
reality are all fair game.*

Questions? Suggestions? Want to participate? Please write to:
leftovermonologues at gmail.com or send a WeChat over to meiguibj for more
details.