MCLC: Between the Visible and the Invisible panel--cfp

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Sat Jul 26 10:24:18 EDT 2014

MCLC LIST
From: Jeannette Ng <jeannette.ng at berkeley.edu>
Subject: Perceiving the Body panel--cfp

SEEKING CO-PANELIST

University of California Berkeley
Institute of East Asian Studies Haas Junior Scholars Conference, 14-15
November 2014.

The UC Berkeley Institute of East Asian Studies Haas Junior Scholars
Program (http://ieas.berkeley.edu/resources/hjs.html) will be organizing a
multi-disciplinary conference, “Between the Visible and the Invisible:
Cosmology, Ritual, and Hermeneutics in Historical and Contemporary Chinese
Worlds.” Sponsored by the UC Berkeley Institute of East Asian Studies, the
conference will take place in Berkeley on November 14-15th 2014.

I am one of the conference co-organizers and a PhD candidate (East Asian
Languages and Cultures, UC Berkeley). Together with my colleague Yueni
Zhong (History of Art, UC Berkeley), we are seeking a co-panelist
interested in topics relating to visualization and perception of the body,
sensory history and aesthetics, anthropology of the senses, and
representations of mind-body relationships in text and image. The panel is
titled "Perceiving the Body: Dialectics of Surface and Interior." Yueni's
paper will examine Daoist visualization of the body in the work of
contemporary Chinese transnational artists. My paper will explore motifs
of inner visualization and sensory perception in the meditative martial
arts of late imperial and Republican China. The panel is open to any
historical period or discipline in the field of China studies.

Our conference keynote speakers will be Michael Puett, Professor of
Chinese History at Harvard University and author To Become a God:
Cosmology, Sacrifice, and Self-Divination in Early China, and Ari
(Larissa) Heinrich, Associate Professor of Modern Chinese Literature,
Comparative Literature, and Cultural Studies at the University of
California at San Diego and author of The Afterlife of Images: Translating
the Pathological Body Between China and the West.

The conference will offer funding for transport and accommodation.

If you are interested in joining our panel, please feel free to contact me
at jeannette.ng at berkeley.edu, by August 15th 2014.

Thank you very much.

--
Jeannette Pei-San Ng

Ph.D. Candidate
Department of East Asian Languages and Cultures
University of California, Berkeley
3413 Dwinelle, Berkeley CA 94720-2230