MCLC: Chan Koonchung on Tibet

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Wed Jul 2 10:08:13 EDT 2014

MCLC LIST
From: pjmooney <pjmooney at me.com>
Subject: Chan Koonchung on Tibet

Source: English Pen (6/26/14):
http://www.englishpen.org/the-five-stereotypes-of-tibet/

The five stereotypes of Tibet
By Chan Koonchung

What’s the story behind the romance and propaganda surrounding Tibet?
Chinese author Chan Koonchung writes for PEN Atlas on how his new novel
and its Tibetan protagonist are an attempt to humanise the conflict, using
fiction to transcend ideology

The main protagonist of my new novel
<http://www.randomhouse.co.uk/editions/the-unbearable-dreamworld-of-champa-
the-driver/9781448170456>, Champa, is a young, modern, Chinese-speaking
Tibetan man. He grew up in the cosmopolitan city of Lhasa, the capital of
the Tibet Autonomous Region of China. The novel in this sense is about
Tibetan and Han relationships, but it will defy easy stereotyping. It is
one of the intentions of the novel to be as uncompromisingly realistic and
anti-romantic as possible.

Aside from the Han Chinese, the only Chinese ethnic group that I have some
familiarity with is the Tibetans. I knew very little about Tibet until
1989, when I was commissioned by an American company to produce a movie
based on the life of the 13th Dalai Lama and an Englishman called Charles
Bell. The movie never got to production stage, but during pre-production,
I met my Buddhist teacher Dzongsar Rinpoche, and that led me to visit
different diasporic Tibetan communities in India, Nepal, Bhutan, Europe
and North America. Since 1992 I also started visiting Lhasa and other
Tibetan areas in China and over the years developed friendships with
Tibetans in Lhasa and Beijing. I always wanted to write about Tibet and
the Tibetan-Han relationship – a poignant and sometimes difficult
co-dependent relationship seldom reflected realistically in literature.

My last novel, The Fat Years, was a dystopian political novel about
present-day China
<http://www.englishpen.org/chinese-fables-bi-feiyu-and-chan-koonchung/>, a
genre that allows discussion of big issues. But I didn’t touch the ethnic
issue in China at all in The Fat Years, because I wanted to save it for
another novel. Right after I finished The Fat Years, I started working on
a saga entitled The Conformist. It was about an idealist-turned-cynic Han
Chinese cadre stationed in Tibet for 30 years who witnessed all the
vicissitudes of relationships there.

I dropped The Conformist and by 2012, I started to work on a new story,
Luo Ming or ‘Naked Life’, renamed for its English edition as The
Unbearable Dreamworld of Champa the Driver. The year 2012 was difficult
for Tibetans in China, and I wanted a raw and pungent way to express my
feelings, and the main protagonist needed to be a Tibetan.

Champa, the main protagonist, has two very different but equally bumpy
relationships with Han women (over 90% of Chinese are Hans; Tibetans
belong to one of the 55 official minority groups in China). He was a
tourist driver before he became the ‘kept man’ of an attractive, affluent
middle-aged Han businesswoman in Lhasa. Life was good for Champa until he
fell for an enigmatic young woman, an event which made him give up on his
cushy Lhasa life and drive to Beijing, his dream city. Nothing in Beijing
turned out as expected.
I intended to capture at least a fraction of the complicated relationships
between the Han Chinese and Tibetans and cut across five kinds of
stereotypes when it comes to Tibet and Tibetans:

The romantic stereotype –Tibet as Shangri La, an exotic, timeless touristy
region of simple, peaceful folks.
The spiritual stereotype – Tibet as the spiritual Buddhist holy land.
Tibetan Buddhist gurus have many followers in other parts of China.

The patronising stereotype – Tibet is pre-modern, China is modern. The
Communist Party liberated Tibet from medieval backwardness. Tibet depends
on aid from the Chinese state. China’s affirmative action policies are
beneficial to the Tibetans, maybe too generously so.

The statist stereotype – Tibet has always been a part of China from time
immemorial. Foreign imperialists are always there trying to encourage
Tibetan separatists to divide the Chinese motherland.

The victim stereotype – Tibetan culture is under threat, all because of
the Chinese rule: non-Tibetan migrants, ‘Han-ification’, assimilation
policies, bureaucratic nepotism and state violence. But traditional
culture is also changing inside Tibet because many Tibetans want
modernisation and welcome economic growth. Many Tibetan families urge
their children to learn Chinese and young Tibetans love hybridised popular
culture. (Though, of course, I am not unsympathetic to this victim
stereotyping because Tibetans are now indeed a minority culture under
stress.)

It was one of my wishes to write a novel that defies and examines
stereotyping about Tibet, Tibetans and Tibetan-Han relationship and I hope
that through Champa and his complicated adventures, I managed to shed some
light on this difficult issue.

About the author

Chan Koonchung was born in Shanghai and raised in Hong Kong. He was a
reporter at an English newspaper in Hong Kong before he founded the
influential magazine ‘City’ in 1976, where he was the chief editor and
then publisher for 23 years. He is also a screenwriter and film producer
of both Chinese and English-language films. Chung is a co-founder of the
Hong Kong environmental group Green Power and was a board member of
Greenpeace International from 2008 to 2011. He recently founded the NGO,
Minjian International, which connects Chinese public intellectuals with
their counterparts in East Asia, Southeast Asia, South Asia and Africa.
His google account is often blocked. He is fluent in English, and now
lives in Beijing. Chan Koonchung’s novel The Fat Years, set in a China of
the near-future where a dark moment of history has been erased from public
memory, has never been published on the mainland. The book released in
2009 presents a dystopian vision of 2013 in which China’s rise coincides
with the economic weakening of the West.  The Unbearable Dreamworld of
Champa the Driver has just been published in the UK by Doubleday.
The Unbearable Dreamworld of Champa is translated by Nicky Harman.

Additional information
You can buy The Unbearable Dreamworld of Champa
<http://www.foyles.co.uk/witem/fiction-poetry/the-unbearable-dreamworld-of-
champa,harman-nicky-9781448170456> at our partner, Foyles Bookshop.
You can also buy Chan Koonchung’s previous novel, The Fat Years
<http://www.foyles.co.uk/witem/fiction-poetry/the-fat-years,chan-koonchung-
michael-duke-9780552776974>.
Chan Koonchung appeared, alongside Bi Feiyu, at ‘Chinese Fables’ at the
Free Word Centre, London. You can read about the event at the English PEN
website.
<http://www.englishpen.org/chinese-fables-bi-feiyu-and-chan-koonchung/>