MCLC: cartoon princess (3)

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Sat Aug 30 10:33:14 EDT 2014

MCLC LIST
cartoon princess (3)
From: sean macdonald
I do not know very much about this historical figure. Suffice it to say that even though this is a CG animated series, viewers will probably not be mistaking the 3D animation style with an indexical approach to the subject matter or the human figure. Indeed, I can only guess but these animators may have had the chance to experience globally successful franchises like “Pocahontis,” or “Alladin,” which features a sing-along song entitled “A Whole New World” that coincidentally appeared right around the same time as the state promotion of a “New World Order.” “Mulan” is a wonderful film that opened up a market for its studio, which had no qualms about promoting some pretty grotesque images of nomadic tribes.
Concerning this particular production, Tianxiang gongzhu, I wouldn’t want to defend any state’s propaganda, I leave that to the bureaucrats and politicians that promote the stuff, although I think the whole point of propaganda is to make it look like entertainment anyways. Nowadays technology has opened up so many possibilities. Wow, just look at those colors.
As a researcher I like to think I can appreciate the intentional or unintentional nuance of any form of cultural production. Film production, whether live action or “animated,” is inherently ideological. I think D.W. Griffith and Lenin would have found a lot of common ground in that respect.
Moreover, the target audience is usually not confined to one sector of society. For example, a silly cartoon might dispel some pretty bizarre assumptions to replace them with other, equally silly, but perhaps just slightly less frightening images. Whether that does any good I really don’t know. Maybe I’m too much of an optimist, but the realm of the symbolic is never a one-sided deal, no matter how much the spectator wants to sing-along with the theme.
Sean
by denton.2 at osu.edu on August 30, 2014