MCLC: new mclc site

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Fri Aug 22 09:50:59 EDT 2014

MCLC LIST
From: kirk (denton.2 at osu.edu)
Subject: new mclc site

Dear MCLC'ers,

Please take the time to read this message.

As I mentioned in an earlier email, the server housing the MCLC website
(http://mclc.osu.edu) is being retired, and we have been forced to move
the entire site to a new, Wordpress-based platform. If you try to go to
the old MCLC site, you will be automatically redirected to the new site:
http://u.osu.edu/mclc/. As you can see, the url for the homepage is
different, which means of course that every single url in the site has
changed. So if you have bookmarks or online links to the mclc site or to
various parts of the site, please change them accordingly.

To my great annoyance, the older server has been taken down before the new
site has been completed. What you will find at "u.osu.edu/mclc/" is
functional, but there is still much from the old site that has yet to be
imported into the new one (e.g., many of the older book reviews and older
online publications, the abstracts to back issues of the journal, and
parts of the bibliographies). Also, there are many broken links caused by
the new urls that need to be mended. We will work on these things over the
next few weeks.

I'm not particularly thrilled about the way the new site looks, but the
university limits us to three very inflexible templates, templates that,
of course, prominently feature the OSU logo and other university stuff.
Unavoidable.

The basic menus you will find across the top of the new site are:

MCLC Journal
Book Reviews
Web Publications
MCLC LIST
Bibliographies

As for the MCLC LIST, the plan is to eventually move it to a blog format.
For the time being, however, we will continue to use the listserv, at
least until I get comfortable with the new blog system and we have
subscribed everyone to it. When we are ready to convert to that new
system, I'll let everyone know.

Best,

Kirk