MCLC: Bei Dao on CR translations (6)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Thu Apr 17 08:50:49 EDT 2014

MCLC LIST
From: Wagner, Rudolf <wagner at asia-europe.uni-heidelberg.de>
Subject: Bei Dao on CR translations (6)

Dear colleagues, thank you for this great harvest of references concerning
the yellow, grey and white translations of literature available to a
segment of the public during the CR. One might add (I have
 not yet read this):

作者: 沈展云
isbn: 7536049986
书名: 灰皮书,黄皮书
页数: 441
定价: 28.00元
出版社: 花城出版社
装帧: 平装
出版年: 2007

The question is of course, who has these translations available between
1960 and 1976. Heidelberg had collected some (such as the New Class by
Djilas, and a large number of introductions to the history of foreign
countries neede dftaer China joinefd the United Nations, neither of which
would come under fiction), but I wonder whether there is somewhere out
there someone who has actually managed to get together a substantial set.
For the study of the impact of this reading on Chinese authors and
readers, the foreignj language original will not do, one needs the
translation, and probably has to spent more than a minute on the
contribution of the translators. I suggest that those interested should
share whatever they themselves have so that we could built up a little
collection that would allow us to study the important question of the
interaction with the new writers surfacing after the CR and world
literature. I am also not sure whether it will suffice to go after Western
authors. Xuexi yu pipan produced a series of critical review of Soviet
plays and novels and they probably circulated as "black material" besides
the summary given in this journal.

I am not sure whether a string about this would overburden MCLC. If so,
those interested might want to communicate directly. Perhaps Prof. Denton
(blessed be his Karma-account for the endless hours he must have spent in
managing this exceedingly useful site) should give a nod in either
direction.

best
Rudolf G. Wagner