MCLC: "new literature" movement (1,2)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Sat Sep 14 11:21:24 EDT 2013

MCLC LIST
From: Hua Li <hlhuali at hotmail.com>
Subject: "new literature" movement (1)

I think Zha Jianying's 《八十年代谈访录》(2006, Sanlian shudian) is a good
book to
read about what happened on the literary scene in China of the 1980s.

Best, Hua Li

From: kirk (denton.2 at osu.edu)
Subject: "new literature" movement (2)

My understanding is that the more common designation for literature after
the Cultural Revolution is "new period literature" (新时期文学). In his A
History of Contemporary Chinese Literature, Hong Zicheng writes: "For a
comparatively long time, 'new period literature' was a term acknowledged
and used as the general term for 'post-Cultural Revolution' literature"
(p. 257, of Michael Day's translation). Perhaps this term was coined to
distinguish post-Mao literature from the earlier May Fourth "new
literature."

Kirk