MCLC: new edition of little red book (3)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Sat Oct 12 10:52:01 EDT 2013

MCLC LIST
From: Alexander C. Cook <accook at berkeley.edu>
Subject: new edition of little red book (3)

The circulation and development of the story of the new edition of the
little red book over the past few weeks has encouraged me to promote our
forthcoming volume on the global history of Quotations from Chairman Mao.
The book will be ready in Spring 2014. I hope some members of the list
will find this project interesting, and the others will pardon the
self-promotion. Here is a sneak peek at the cover and contents:

Mao’s Little Red Book: A Global History
http://www.amazon.com/Maos-Little-Red-Book-History/dp/1107057221/

Introduction. The Spiritual Atom Bomb and its Global Fallout
By Alexander C. Cook

1. A Single Spark: Origins and Spread of the Little Red Book in China
By Daniel Leese

2. Quotations Songs: Portable Media and the Maoist Pop Song
By Andrew F. Jones

3. Mao Quotations in Factional Battles and Their Afterlives: Episodes from
Chongqing
By Guobin Yang

4. Translation and Internationalism
By Lanjun Xu

5. Empty Symbol: The Little Red Book in India
By Sreemati Chakrabarti

6. The Influence of Maoism in Peru
By David Scott Palmer

7. Maoism in Tanzania: Material Connections and Shared Imaginaries
By Priya Lal

8. The Book that Bombed: Mao’s Little Red Thing in the Soviet Union
By Elizabeth McGuire

9. Mao and the Albanians
By Elidor Mëhilli

10. Partisan Legacies and Anti-Imperialist Ambitions: The Little Red Book
in Italy and Yugoslavia
By Dominique Reill

11. Badge Books and Brand Books: The Mao Bible in East and West Germany
By Quinn Slobodian

12. Principally Contradiction: The Flourishing of French Maoism
By Julian Bourg

13. By the Book: Quotations from Chairman Mao and the Making of Afro-Asian
Radicalism, 1966-1975
By Bill V. Mullen

Conclusion. In the Beginning is the Word: Popular Democracy and Mao’s
Little Red Book
By Ban Wang

Many thanks,

Alex