MCLC: Is the World Flat ACLA seminar--cfp

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Wed Oct 9 11:46:36 EDT 2013

MCLC LIST
From: Meng, Liansu <liansu.meng at uconn.edu>
Subject: Is the World Flat ACLA seminar--cfp

American Comparative Literature Association (2014) Seminar--cfp
Is the World Flat? Globalization, Translation and World Poetry

Seminar Organizer(s):

Liansu Meng (University of Connecticut), Jennifer Feeley (University of
Iowa)

Less than ten years ago, in his internationally best-selling book, Thomas
Friedman announced that “the world is flat”, proclaiming that the world
has become a level playing field for all parties in the globalized market.
This seminar uses translation as a lens to examine local and global flows
of “world poetry” in this so-called increasingly “flat” world.  Has the
world of poetic translation become flat? Are terms such as “periphery” and
“center” still valid in this new ecology of global capitalism? How has the
dynamics of translation shifted? What are the mechanisms of canon-making
in world poetry now?  How does the poetic canon change if we shift our
discussion of poetry from so-called peripheral languages and cultures
while bracketing the center?
We aim to foreground the dynamism of poetics of the periphery, calling
into question the essentialist tendency to define them against Eurocentric
construct as we formulate ways for the periphery to function as a critical
paradigm. We invite papers that explore topics such as:

• Globalization and world poetry
• Globalization of translation
• Anthologies of poetry in translation
• Gender and translation
• Translation and appropriation of poetic forms
• Orientalism and translation
• Shifting roles of the translator

Seminar keywords: translation, world poetry, globalization, capitalism,
gender, peripheral, center, poetic canon

Our seminar description is also available at

http://acla.org/acla2014/is-the-world-flat-globalization-translation-and-wo
rld-poetry/

To submit your paper proposal, please follow the link:

http://acla.org/acla2014/propose-a-paper/

Please feel free to email me at liansu.meng at uconn.edu  if you have any
questions.