MCLC: more on Xia Yeliang firing (3,4)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Fri Nov 29 10:39:57 EST 2013

MCLC LIST
From: RONALD JANSSEN <ron.janssen at mac.com>
Subject: more on Xia Yeliang firing (3)

One would need to know of examples of outspoken social/political critics
on the Beida faculty who have NOT lost their jobs because they are strong
teachers. On the side of academic integrity,  I do know of one specific
example of a Chinese untenured faculty member who was fired for
plagiarizing his professional writing. He was somewhat popular as a
teacher, had an advanced degree from a U.S. school, and had sponsored
significant conference events at Beida. I myself experienced no
interference in my own teaching in three years at Beida, even though I
often addressed political issues, including Tiananmen, in class. My
students sometimes we're not comfortable, but no word ever came to me from
university authorities. I don't know if the same would hold for a Chinese
professor. Having said this, I still have no confidence in Beida
authorities being beyond political actions. As has been mentioned, the
Party Secretary is a key player in all decisions.

Ron Janssen
Hofstra University

From: Kevin Joseph Carrico <carricok at stanford.edu>
Subject: more on Xia Yeliang firing (4)

I'm not surprised by the comments from this professor. After all, I have
had professors tell me that the people of Beijing supported the army's
"resolute measures" in 1989, that the people of Taiwan yearn for
Liberation, and that life in Tibet couldn't be any better or happier.
Unfortunately though, the fact that these statements are made does not
make them true.

The names Paul cites remind us that politicized firing is not unusual.
Wellesley faculty's stance is what made this case different, in that
people took note. The resulting attempt to spin the case as related to
Prof. Xia's negative evaluations is similar to the use of state secret
charges when prosecuting authors and journalists- it gives a
comprehensible reason for an otherwise unjustifiable action.

Having observed first hand over the years the pressure applied to an
academic involved in Charter 08, including not only dismissal but also
monitoring of visitors and regular harassment, I am also not at all
surprised that Prof. Xia has been dismissed from his position. The only
thing that really surprises me is how long he was able to hold onto his
position.

Kevin