MCLC: more on Xia Yeliang firing (1)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Wed Nov 27 09:45:22 EST 2013

MCLC LIST
From: Matthew Wills <matthewtwills at gmail.com>
Subject: more on Xia Yeliang firing (1)

In terms of how this incident is viewed at Peking University, I am
currently studying in the Chinese as a Second Language department and
recently one of the Chinese teachers voluntarily raised the question of
Xia Yeliang's dismissal.  When we pressed him for his view, we were told
that this was in no way related to Professor Xia's political stance, but
only the negative evaluations he received from students.  He also
dismissed suggestions that Professor Xia's lectures had seen an upsurge in
turnout since the decision.

Matthew Wills