MCLC: urbanites flee smog (1)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Mon Nov 25 09:52:24 EST 2013

MCLC LIST
From: sean macdonald (smacdon2005 at gmail.com)
Subject: urbanites flee smog (1)

Thanks for posting this. I read it this morning myself because I find the
topic ot be very interesting. Students of contemporary theory may be
familiar with Raymond Williams's "The Country and the City" one of the
most important literary histories of modern England which constructed a
history of images of both the country and the city in English literature.

Images of the country and the city are abundant in modern and contemporary
Chinese literature too. In all types of cultural production really. The
problem of urban and rural development is of of course a perennial problem
around the world. Still, I found this article to be somewhat anecdotal.
The accompanying photo of expats sitting outside a cafe that (does that
sign say Vegan Burger?) did not help.

I also find it hard to believe there are no social science studies about
rural-urban transformation and population distribution in the PRC. Also,
while it's true urban pollution is getting out of hand, the small towns
and rural areas have their own issues, like water and land contamination.
I wonder how the urban returnees to the pristine countryside are affecting
infrastrucutural demands in those areas? Doesn't part of this phenomenon
include the forced eviction of peasants from their land to build villas
for urban commuters?

Just wondering. For a NYT article, it seemed to stay on the surface of
much larger issues.

Sean