MCLC: Xi yangyang?

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Wed Nov 13 10:16:16 EST 2013

MCLC LIST
From: Magnus Fiskesjö <nf42 at CORNELL.EDU>
Subject: Xi yangyang?

Hello,

Does anyone remember a recent analysis of the militaristic streak in the
Chinese children's TV cartoon series "Xi Yangyang"? I remember a recent
mention of a study, -- but I lost the reference (not even sure if it was
MCLC).

On Chinese children's TV, "Xi Yangyang" shows a striking emphasis on
war; quite often, whole armies of real-looking tanks, cannons and
bombers are used by the cartoon's "sheep" to make real-looking war on
the "wolves", or vice versa, on a vast scale, --(perhaps to accustom
children to these imageries, or because the creators of the series are
obsessed with these storylines, or both, or more).

Sincerely,

Magnus Fiskesjö