MCLC: Cheng Naishan (1)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Tue May 21 10:15:57 EDT 2013

MCLC LIST
From: gabriel wu (yeowcgwu at cityu.edu.hk)
Subject: Cheng Naishan dies (1)

I feel deep sorrow for Cheng Naishan's passing away. Her devotion to
writing about Shanghai throughout her life certainly deserves our
attention and respect. Yet not forgetting her considerable lengthy
diasporic life in Hong Kong, I have classified Cheng under the term "Hong
Kong-based Shanghainese writer" in my study. Two articles were published
to provide some of my observation of the subject:

1) "Cong Beijiao dao Shanghai: zai Gang Shanghai zuojia de Xianggang
xiangxiang 從北角到九龍東:在港上海作家的香港想像" [From North Point to
Kowloon East: The
Imagination of Hong Kong by Hong Kong-based Shanghainese Writers]. In
Reviews and Research on Chinese Literature 現代中文學刊, 2012 Vol.2, April,
pp.64-71.

2) "The ‘Home Affairs’ of Three Hong Kong-based Shanghainese Writers.” In
Studia Orientalia Slovaca, 11.2, Fall Issue, 2012, pp.273-287.

Another Chinese article on the same subject but a different focus has been
scheduled for publication in August.

Regards,

Gabriel Wu