MCLC: studies on jokes (6,7,8)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Thu Mar 28 08:22:24 EDT 2013

MCLC LIST
From: Marjorie Chan <chan.9 at osu.edu>
Subject: studies on jokes (6)

Attardo, one of Victor Raskin's Ph.D. students (Ph.D. 1991), has also
published very extensively on humor:

http://web.tamuc.edu/academics/cvSyllabi/cv/AttardoSalvatore.pdf

For several years, S. Attardo was also the editor-in-chief of the journal,
Humor: International Journal of Humor Research, which V. Raskin founded in
1988 and was its inaugural editor-in-chief.

I haven't checked recently to see what has been published there that might
pertain to Chinese linguistics and humor, including pragmatics of humor.
Back in 2007, I taught a Chinese linguistics graduate seminar on humor
(but without enough resources I had to expand the topic). As usual, my
course syllabi are online, including that seminar:

http://people.cohums.ohio-state.edu/chan9/c889-w07.htm

At the 2013 CHINOPERL conference that was held last week in conjunction
with AAS, I gave a presentation entitled, '"Elements of Humor in the Film
and Stage Performances of Di Nü Hua (帝女花), The Flower Princess, A
Cantonese Opera by Tang Disheng (唐滌生)." My presentation hasn't been
written up yet, although available online is an earlier paper on humor
involving Cantonese opera, "The Judge Goes to Pieces (審死官): A Linguistic
Study of Humor in a Cantonese Opera":

http://people.cohums.ohio-state.edu/chan9/articles/chan-m_naccl-18.pdf

Best,
Marjorie Chan
The Ohio State University

From: Hanna Li <li.hanna at gmail.com>
Subject: studies on jokes (7)

I am currently in the process of finalising my own Reserch Master Thesis
at Leiden University: "Laughing Literati: An exploration of premodern
Chinese humour and its cultural context through Song dynasty joke
collections".

During my research I stumbled upon some articles by Liao Chao-chih which I
think should be of interest:

Liao, Chao-chih. 2003. "Humor Versus Huaji." Journal of Language and
Linguistics 2.1: 25-46.

---. 2004. "Disasters from Pun in Chinese History". Paper presented at
Sociolinguistics Symposium. April 1-4. Newcastle Upon Tyne, England.

There are also some general linguistic theories on humour, which could be
useful->

Raskin has already been mentioned, but I would also take a look at the
works of Attardo as well, as he and Raskin further developed Raskin's
Semantic Script Theory of Humour, which eventually turned into the General
Theory of Verbal Humour, that is most likely the most dominant linguistic
theory on jokes and joke similarity at the moment:

Attardo, Salvatore. 1994. Linguistic Theories of Humor Berlin [etc.] :
Mouton de Gruyter.

---. 1997. "The Semantic Foundations of Cognitive Theories of Humor."
HUMOR: International Journal of Humor Research. 10.4: 395-420.

---. 1998. "The Analysis of Humorous Narratives." HUMOR: International
Journal of Humor Research 11.3: 231 - 60.

---. 2001. Humorous Texts : A Semantic and Pragmatic Analysis. Berlin
[etc.]: Mouton de Gruyter.

Attardo, Salvatore and Victor Raskin. 1991. "Script Theory Revis(It)Ed:
Joke Similarity and Joke Representation Model." HUMOR: International
Journal of Humor Research 4.3-4: 293-348.

Also take a look at the following works:

Chafe, Wallace. 2007. The Importance of Not Being Earnest : The Feeling
Behind Laughter and Humor. Amsterdam [etc.]: John Benjamins Publishing
Company.

Ritchie, Graeme. 1999. "Developing the Incongruity-Resolution Theory."
Paper presented at the AISB Symposium on Creative Language: Stories and
Humour. Edinburgh.

---. 2004. The Linguistic Analysis of Jokes. London: Routledge.

---. 2009. "Variants of Incongruity Resolution." Journal of Literary
Theory 3.2: 313-32.

What might also be of interest is the journal Humor: International Journal
of Humor Research (Mouton de Gruyter).

And lastly, some studies on Chinese humour/jokes in general:

Baccini, Giulia. The Forest of Laughs (Xiaolin): Mapping the Offspring of
Self-Aware Literature in Ancient China. Dissertation. CA' FOSCARI
University of Venice, 2010.

Hauβer, Jutta. Mit Lachen Den Schlaf Vertreiben: Literatur- Und
Kulturhistorische Aspekte Des Lachens Im China Und Japan Des 17.
Jahrhunderts - Ein Vergleich Von Xiaohua Und Kobanashi. Dissertation.
Ludwig-Maximilians-University München, 2001.

Hsu, Pi-ching. 2012. "Jokes on the Human Body from Feng Menglong's
Treasury of Laughs." Ming Studies 64: 46-62.

Levy, Howard S. 1974. Chinese Sex Jokes in Traditional Times. Taibei:
Orient Culture Service.

Xu, Weihe. 2004. "The Confucian Politics of Appearance: And Its Impact on
Chinese Humor." Philosophy East and West 54.4: 514-32.

Yue, Xiaodong. 2010. "Exploration of Chinese Humor: Historical Review,
Empirical Findings, and Critical Reflections." Humor - International
Journal of Humor Research 23.3: 403-20.

Hanna Li
Leiden University

From: Betty Pun <bpunok at yahoo.com>
Subject: studies on jokes (8)

Another recent publication on jokes is Debra Aarons (2011) Jokes and the
Linguistic Mind, Routledge. The publication does not focus on Chinese
jokes, though. A description of the publication is available in Amazon
(http://www.amazon.com/Jokes-Linguistic-Mind-Debra-Aarons/dp/0415890497).

Regards,
Betty Pun
UNSW, Australia