MCLC: Time to Say No!

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Fri Mar 8 09:13:10 EST 2013

MCLC LIST
From: martin winter (dujuan99 at gmail.com)
Subject: Time to Say No!

Source: Martin Winter's blog (3/8/13):
http://erguotou.wordpress.com/2013/03/08/time-to-say-no/

And

http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_68d111990101gb0l.html

Time To Say No! is an initiative inspired by Malala Yousafzai. There is a
presentation in Brazil today. Yesterday there was a press conference and
poetry reading in Vienna, organized by Austrian PEN. Time to Say No! is
about rights. Education and dignity, which means not to be violated, are
basic rights of all human beings. We heard female writers from Kenya,
Sudan, Iran, India, Bulgaria, a wonderful male voice from former
Yugoslavia, Austrian voices: Philo Ikonya, Ishraga Hamid, Sarita Jemanani,
Boško Tomašević, Dorothea Nürnberg…. And two poems from China. The first
one was “YOUR RED LIPS, A WORDLESS HOLE
<http://blog.boxun.com/hero/201303/shengxue/1_1.shtml>” 你空洞無聲的欲言紅唇
<http://blog.boxun.com/hero/201202/shengxue/7_1.shtml> by Sheng Xue 盛雪
<http://blog.boxun.com/hero/201202/shengxue/7_1.shtml>, English
translation by Maiping Chen and Brenda Vellino
<http://blog.boxun.com/hero/201303/shengxue/1_1.shtml>, German translation
by Angelika Burgsteiner. The second poem from China was Lily’s Story 丽丽传
by Zhao Siyun 赵思云
<http://erguotou.wordpress.com/2012/10/09/lilis-story/>.
The book Time To Say No, edited by Philo Inkonya and Helmuth Niederle,
also contains poems by Wu Runsheng 吴润生, Chantelle Tiong 张依蘋, Hong Ying
虹影
and many, many others.

The poem by Zhao Siyun and the newspaper stories it is based on were never
banned in China. They are still online, maybe because the story never went
viral in a very big way.

Sheng Xue and her works are banned. I have copied the poem in Chinese and
English on my Sina blog, with permission from the author.

Martin