MCLC: dissent speaks code

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Sun Jan 6 13:48:07 EST 2013

MCLC LIST
From: Rowena He <rowenahe at gmail.com>
Subject: dissent speaks code

Source: Wall Street Journal (1/4/13):
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323874204578219832868014140.h
tml

In China's Cyberspace, Dissent Speaks Code
Want to escape the censor's scrutiny? Call the regime a 'heavenly
dynasty.' Just don't get 'happiness-ified'
By XIAO QIANG and PERRY LINK

The rise of online platforms in China has given the Chinese people an
unprecedented capacity for self-publishing and communication. Because they
speak in a heavily monitored environment, however, these "netizens" must
often voice their demands for greater freedom in coded language and
metaphors that allow them to avoid outright censorship. Chinese cyberspace
has given rise to a surprising number of new terms for exposing,
criticizing and ridiculing the Communist Party. Largely invented by young
gadflies, this lively discourse has begun to spread widely.

Some of the new terms grow from temporary code words used in order to
evade word filters. The term zhengfu (government), for example, counts as
"sensitive," and efforts to skirt it have given rise to a number of new
terms. One of these is tianchao (heavenly dynasty), which, besides
avoiding filters, delivers the mischievous suggestion that the government
is hardly modern. In a nod to George Orwell, the Party's Department of
Propaganda is referred to as the zhenlibu (Ministry of Truth).

Another widespread term is hexie, which means "river crab" but is a
near-homonym of the word for "harmony." The regime of recently retired PRC
President Hu Jintao, in its public rhetoric, put great stress on the idea
of a hexie shehui or "harmonious society." By recasting this official
phrase to turn "harmonious society" into "river-crab society," netizens
are evoking Chinese folklore, in which the crab appears as a bully known
for scuttling sideways. Netizens use hexie as a verb as well as a noun.
When a website is shut down or a computer screen goes blank, the victims
might say "We have been river-crabbed!" or, in other words, "harmonized"
into silence.

A few years ago, a netizen with a sly sense of humor began using the terms
guidang (your [honorable] party) and guiguo (your [honorable] state). Gui
literally means "noble" or "expensive" and has long been placed before
nouns as a polite way of saying "your": Thus guixing means "your honorable
surname," and so on. Guiguo has also, for a long time, been an established
way of saying "your country" when people from different countries are
talking to each other in a formal way.

But now, in some circles on the Internet, guiguo has taken on the
sarcastic meaning of "your state"—in other words, the state that belongs
to you rulers, not to me. The question "What is guiguo?" has popped up in