MCLC: Juxtapose--cfp

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Thu Feb 14 08:01:40 EST 2013

MCLC LIST
From: Danielle De Feo Giet <danielle.defeo-giet at stx.ox.ac.uk>
Subject: Juxtapose--cfp

Juxtapose
International Call for Papers

We invite academic papers and online contributions for an
interdisciplinary academic workshop:

Juxtapose: Challenges of Comparative Research on
Contemporary China and India
26 April 2013, Wolfson College, Oxford.

Abstracts must be submitted by March 14th 2013.

Organising Committee:

Yuge Ma (DPhil researcher, School of Geography and the Environment,
University of Oxford)
Danielle K.J. de FeoGiet
(DPhil researcher, Oriental Institute, University of Oxford)
Senior member: Professor Barbara HarrissWhite,
(Coordinator,
Wolfson South Asia Research Cluster,
University of Oxford).

Introduction:

Over the past 20 years, India and China have experienced rapid economic
growth which has transformed their positions in the world, their view of
themselves, and their impact on the planet.

However, with growth have come the burdens of development: environmental
degradation, social and regional inequality, physical and mental health
problems, mass migration, and grassroots riots. India and China tackle
their similar challenges in very different ways, reflecting their
contrasting political and social systems.

The fascinating tension created by the similarities and differences
between the two has attracted a rich multidisciplinary scholarship of
SinoIndian comparative work in recent years. Previous attempts at such
comparative studies have suggested that what and how we compare depends
heavily on theoretical approaches dominant in each country. These
approaches however, are neither consistent nor cohesive, and given that
the global reality is also diverse, it is surprising that we should expect
them to be so.

How is this theoretical problem to be overcome? Could we form a better
comparative framework to understand India and China in our changing world?
And if so, then how? This workshop aims to develop a creative platform for
the cutting edge of international scholars and practitioners to discuss
ongoing and forthcoming comparative projects about these two emerging
powers, their challenges and opportunities. To this end, this event will
constitute a truly interdisciplinary approach bridging topics as diverse
as popular culture and energy, environment, foreign policy, literature and
health.

What is Juxtapose?

Juxtapose is devised simultaneously as a scholarly gathering, with guest
speakers, an opportunity for in person discussion and problemsolving
scheduled over one day at Wolfson College, Oxford, and an online space at
http://indiachinaresearch.blogspot.co.uk/ where contributions can be made
by academics, policymakers and other interested parties.

In an effort to dislodge the unevenness of access to conferences and
events, Juxtapose places importance on the use of technology as a tool to
bring thinkers together, despite geographical distances and economic
constraints. Our ambition is to bring these two realms, the online and the
physical, together as seamlessly as possible, and as interactively as
possible. We invite international participants (or any who wish to) to
give their papers through online conferencing like Skype and Google +, or
filmed remarks, and we encourage the submission of presentations, essays
or thoughts from abroad range of academic and practitioners and policy
makers, as well as traditional academic papers. We aim to bring papers and
works together in a printed or e-volume.

Submission Criteria:

For the Conference at Wolfson College, Oxford:

Research papers are invited from faculty and research scholars with an
abstract of 500 words latest by Monday March 11 2013 by email to
juxtaposeproject at gmail.com. You will be informed if your your submission
has been selected by March 25th.

The abstract should provide an outline of the main themes/questions and
research method. Papers must be original work that takes a comparative
approach to study of India and China today, and submissions that show a
robust theoretical framework, are well substantiated, and display an
ability to discuss methodological challenges in their study will be
favoured.

The paper should have contemporary relevance, contribute to the existing
body of knowledge, be framed with conceptual and analytical clarity, be
presented in an academic style and in readable English. It should also
contain appropriate and full references. Further, authors own the
copyright of article only up to publication.

Please make sure that your abstract includes the following: Title, name of
the author, affiliation, complete contact details and a short author’s bio.

Style Guide:

The article should be typewritten preferably in Arial font with 12 pt
(English) and Kruti Dev font with 14 pt (Hindi) in MSWord. In the case of
all Chinese, Hindi, or other nonRoman language terms, the pronunciation
should be given in Romanised form in brackets. For Chinese please use
PinYin Romanisation. Further, the paper should be double spaced on A4
paper having margins of 1.5” on left side and 1” on the other three sides.
Final paper should be 5,000 to 10,000 words.

Footnotes must be included for all quotations, following bibliography
style. Footnotes should be presented in pt 9. Bibliography of all
referenced and source material at the end of the paper must provide
complete information. Arrange references in alphabetical order by the last
name of the author and then by his/her initials. The following style of
reference may be strictly followed:

● In the case of a journal paper: Authors last name, initials, year of
publication, name of the paper in quotation marks, name of the journal
(italic), volume number, issue number and page numbers (pp).
● In case of a Book: Authors or editors last name, initials, year of
publication, title of the book (italic), name of publisher, place of
publication and page numbers.
● In case of an essay / chapter in an edited book: Authors last name,
initials, year of publication, name of the editor, title of the book
(italic), name of publisher, place of publication and page numbers.
● In case of institution/Govt. report: full name of the
institution/ministry, year of publication, place of publication.
● In case of other media: Films should be referenced as books in order of
director name, and detailing production house. Please consult with the
editors in the case of other media sources used.

For Juxtapose online:
Contributions of all kinds on the subject of China and India in comparison
are invited from faculty, research scholars, policymakers, and interested
parties. Please email danielle.defeogiet at orinst.ox.ac.uk, or
yuge.ma at wolfson.ox.ac.uk with a proposal for more information and to be
given full access. We will accept and post some academic papers online, so
if you would like your academic paper to be considered for our online
collection, please submit according to the criteria for the workshop,
above.

About the Organisers

Yuge MA and Danielle K.J. de FeoGiet are DPhil students who are conducting
frontier comparative work on India and China. Yuge’s DPhil thesis explores
how the different institutional environment and political system affect
the relationship between state regulation and low carbon development of
India and China, while Danielle’s research focuses on how popular
entertainment films in the two countries are reflecting and crafting
changes in cultural identity as part of the substantial social
transformation arising in the wake of economic reform. Professor Barbara
HarrissWhite is coordinator of the South Asia Research Cluster (SARC),
Wolfson College, University of Oxford. She coorganised the British Academy
ChinaIndia Conference in 2010. We would also like to extend special thanks
to Dr. Margaret Hillenbrand, lecturer in Modern Chinese literature and
fellow of Wadham College, Oxford for her guidance.

Logistics

Authors of accepted papers will be invited to the workshop. The workshop
will provide lunch and refreshments to all the registered participants
free of charge. For invited participants coming from outside of Oxford
area, the workshop will subsidise the domestic travel expenses and one
night accommodation at Oxford. For international participants, the
workshop will provide official documents to support visa application
 required.

For more information, please contact yuge.ma at wolfson.ox.ac.uk or
danielle.defeogiet@
orinst.ox.ac.uk