MCLC: Chinese Literature Today 3, no. 1/2

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Thu Dec 19 09:52:52 EST 2013

MCLC LIST
From: Stalling, Jonathan C. <stalling at ou.edu>
Subject: Chinese Literature Today 3, no 1/2

Dear MCLC Friends:

I would like to invite you to explore our updated Chinese Literature Today
website and to check out this year’s special double issue of Chinese
Literature Today featuring Mo Yan, Su Tong, and new poetry by Yu Jian and
our featured scholar Wai-lim Yip and much more. Now available at
http://www.ou.edu/clt/.

VOLUME 3, NUMBER 1 & 2

FEATURED AUTHOR: MO YAN

• 08 Mo Yan in Translation: One Voice among Many by Howard Goldblatt
• 10 Nobel Prize Banquet Speech by Mo Yan
• 11 Storytellers: Nobel Lecture, December 7, 2012 by Mo Yan
• 17 _The Nobel Prize, Mo Yan, and Contemporary Literature in China by
Zhang Qinghua
• 21 A Western's Refection on Mo Yan by Robert Con Davis-Undiano
• 26 Divine Altar (an excerpt from Sandalwood Death) by Mo Yan

SPECIAL TWO-PART POETRY SECTION

Chinese Poets Writing in English

• 35 Qiu Xiaolong
• 38 Yun Wang
• 40 Wai-lim Yip

Non-Chinese Poets Writing in Chinese

• 43 Jami Proctor-Xu
• 45 Denis Mair
• 48 Afaa Michael Weaver

FEATURED AUTHOR: SU TONG

• 52 Where Do We Encounter Reality? by Su Tong
• 55 How Is Creativity Served by Revisiting Our Childhood Past? by Su Tong
• 58 A Conversation with Su Tong by Hua Li
• 62 Su Tong’s Aesthetics by Zhang Xuexin
• 66 Why Our House Has No Electric Lights by Su Tong

SPECIAL SECTION: PERSPECTIVES ON CHINESE FILM

• 78 Modern Chinese Cinema: Box Office Boom in Full Swing by Pu Jian
• 82 The Difficulty of Difference: Rethinking the Woman Warrior Figure in
Hong Kong Martial Arts Cinema by Man-Fung Yip
• 88 The Sincere Gaze: Art and Realism in Jia Zhangke’s Films by Ping Zhu

FEATURED POET: YU JIAN
• 95 Small Town by Yu Jian

FEATURED SCHOLAR: WAI-LIM YIP

• 122 A Creative New Start: Wai-lim Yip in China by Chunlin Li
• 126 Quest for the Right Poem: My Modernist Beginnings by Wai-lim Yip
• 134 Rethinking the Roots: The Unfinished Work of Wai-lim Yip’s Daoist
Modernism — A Conversation with Wai-lim Yip by Jonathan Stalling
• 146 Selected poems by Wai-lim Yip

IN EVERY ISSUE
• Editor's Note
• Contributors
• Chinese Literature in Review

ON THE COVER Chinatown Sunset, 2013, by Fong Qi Wei
BOOK REVIEWS

• Sheng Keyi, Northern Girls. Shelly Bryant, tr.
• Petrus Liu, Stateless Subjects: Chinese Martial Arts Literature and
Postcolonial History
• Ba Jin, Ward Four: A Novel of Wartime China. Haili Kong and Howard
Goldblatt, tr.
• Jacob Edmond, A Common Strangeness: Contemporary Poetry, Cross-Cultural
Encounter, Comparative Literature
• Michael Gibbs Hill, Lin Shu, Inc.: Translation and the Making of Modern
Chinese Culture
• Xi Chuan, A Bend in the Great River: Thoughts in Search of Poetic
Possibility
• Lai Hsiang-yin, Thereafter
• Yu Jian, On the Long Journey. Tang Xiaodu, ed.
• Shijiang Li, The Chinese Department
• Gu Mingdong, Sinologism: An Alternative to Orientalism and
Postcolonialism

Subscribe at www.ou.edu/clt or download to the digital edition at
www.zinio.com.