MCLC: Greek and Latin Classics in Modern China--cfp

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Wed Aug 21 09:59:02 EDT 2013

MCLC LIST
From: Leihua Weng <leihua.weng at gmail.com>
Subject: Greek and Latin Classics in Modern China--cfp

Calls for Panel Papers:

The translation and reception of Greek and Latin classics began in China
over a century ago. The process has been defined by adaption and
appropriation, with an increased understanding of classical Greek, Latin
and the evolution of modern Chinese language. We are interested in
investigating the process of translation per se, as well as the
linguistic, conceptual and historic-social contexts of these translations
and interpretations in modern China. The questions we are pursuing include
but are not limited to the following: Which type of appropriations/
adaptations occur on the linguistic level during the translation of
Hellenistic and Latin classics into the modern Chinese language? In which
way do the translation and interpretation of Plato and Aristotle become a
way to address various issues of modernity in China? Does the current
reception of the Straussian reading of Plato go in line with the reading
guidelines set in the May Fourth movement? What are the differences in the
respective readings of Western classics in the West and in China?

This panel is going to be part of the Annual Conference of Comparative
Literature at the University of South Carolina, February 26-March 2, 2014.
We need two more participants for this panel. The information of the
conference can be found here
<http://artsandsciences.sc.edu/dllc/CPLT/Conf16>.
Please send me an abstract of approximately 300- 500 words via
wengla at plu.edu by the Sept. 10, 2013. Many thanks.

Leihua Weng, Ph. D.
Visiting Assistant Professor of Chinese
Pacific Lutheran University