MCLC: Asymptote no. 10

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Tue Apr 16 07:48:28 EDT 2013

MCLC LIST
From: Lee Yew Leong  <editors at asymptotejournal.com>
Subject: Asymptote no. 10

A PERSONAL NOTE FROM ASYMPTOTE'S FOUNDER

We're into our 10th issue <http://www.asymptotejournal.com/>! Thanks for
reading us and supporting us, everyone!

Chinese highlights: Lo Kwai Cheung's short story "Me and Him and Chris on
Northbound 101" translated by Steve Bradbury, and a survey of Contemporary
Chinese essayists (spotlighting Zhang Kangkang, Jia Pingwa, Liu Zaifu and
Mo Yan) by Monika Gaenssbauer.

In addition, this new edition sees Asymptote's first new Chinese
contributing editor Francis Li Zhuoxiong (otherwise known as the Golden
Melody Award-winning lyricist behind Karen Mok's "Love") coming on board
our team. He translates into Chinese a most moving nonfiction by Will
McGrath about Africa's AIDS crisis.

Among the general highlights, on the other hand, are our introduction of
the major Hungarian writer Miklós Szentkuthy via Rainer J. Hanshe's
magnificent essay and Tim Wilkinson's agile translation, an interview with
Saramago's translator Margaret Jull Costa, new translations by Lawrence
Venuti and Don Mee Choi (who gives us the fantastic Kim Hyesoon), our
extensive Africa Feature which implicates Pierre Joris, Geoff Wisner,
Yasmina Khadra, and 2012 Nigeria Literature Prize winner Chika Unigwe,
among others.

Please don't miss Jonas Hassen Khemiri's personal plea
<http://www.asymptotejournal.com/article.php?cat=Nonfiction&id=47&curr_inde
x=17&curPage=current> against racial profiling of a month ago--in the form
of an open letter to a Swedish minister asking her to change skins with
him--which has since become the most linked-to article in Swedish history.
We're proud to present the first English translation of this moving
testament to our readers, and hope you can pass it (and the new issue)
along to friends who are readers of world literature.

To be announced shortly: Asymptote's first ever translation contest
(judged by Eliot Weinberger and contributing editor Howard Goldblatt).

Finally: our Indiegogo campaign <http://Will McGrath's> will last for 2
more weeks, for those who would like to make a donation to help us keep
going on for at least 10 more issues. We've added many new editors at
large recently, including a Hong Kong editor-at-large (Charlie Ng
Chak-Kwan), who is finalizing a journal partnership with Hong Kong's 字花.
We have many exciting plans in the pipeline--but we need a little bit more
support to get there. If you've appreciated what we've done in the past,
do take a moment to either spread the word of our campaign or give what
you can afford. We've learnt that every bit of kindness counts.

Warmly,

Lee Yew Leong
Founder, Asymptote