MCLC: new chapter for children's book authors (2)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Sat Apr 13 10:19:52 EDT 2013

MCLC LIST
From: hu ying <huying at uci.edu>
Subject: new chapter for children's book authors (2)

I own a few of Yang Hongying's books as well as the entire series of Ma
Xiaotiao, Yang's early series. Yes, some of her works are a bit bland.
Still, compared with what kids had twenty years ago, it is an improvement;
perhaps that's why teachers recommend her. I find the slightly younger Wu
Meizhen more interesting, aka Yangguang jiejie (Sunshine). In any case, a
Chinese kid (parent) has a wide choice - readily available are not just
Euro-American children's writers (Marc Pellote, Klaus Baumgart, Christine
Nostlinger) but also a good many Japanese (Eiko Kadono) and lately Korean
writers (Han Chang Uk). Increasingly well translated and usually with a
less "instructive" tendency.

Hu Ying