MCLC: Finnegan's Wake translation (2,3)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Sat Sep 29 09:32:45 EDT 2012

MCLC LIST
From: Sean Macdonald <smacdon2005 at gmail.com>
Subject: Finnegan's Wake translation (2)

I don't know. Doomed? I've always thought the book itself was not meant to
be understood in conventional semantic terms anyways. Why not translate
it? Joyce taught at Berlitz and the Wake is full of multilingual,
polysemic phonetic transcriptions which can go either way (or any way)
much of the time. Applaud the effort, I say. Just sticking with the
original is hard enough.

All the best,

Sean

From: Costas Kouremenos <enaskitis at gmail.com>
Subject: Finnegan's Wake (3)

I think the spelling of the topic should be changed from Finnegan's Wake
to Finnegans Wake (although I don't know how this difference can be
rendered in Chinese).

Costas