MCLC: Beijing's dangerous game (4,5,6)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Wed Sep 26 09:23:53 EDT 2012

MCLC LIST
From: Timothy J.T. Pi <timothy.pi at gmail.com>
Subject: Beijing's dangerous game (4)

Many of my Chinese friends are very angry about the current situation.

However, most of them do not know that during WWII, the "Great" chairman
Mao privately negotiate a peace deal with Japanese occupation army and
focus their resources and manpower against their common enemy --
Nationalist Army led by General Chiang Kai-shek.

In addition, after the war, when Japanese diplomats visited China.
Chairman Mao actually greeted them with gratitude and said something like
"if not for Japanese, communists cannot come to power. we should thank
Japan ......"

I wonder how the contemporary patriots will treat Chairman Mao if they
know what was going on 80 years ago.

Timothy Pi

From: Xiang Song <panlune at uchicago.edu>
Subject: Beijing's dangerous game (5)

It would be interesting to do a study of recent mass media representations
of "kangri zhanzheng." Just off the cuff, I would say that the better
among them do interesting things besides reproducing resentment for Japan.
TV shows that readily come to mind include MY REGIMENT, MY COMMANDER and
the immensely popular LIANG JIAN, and a plethora of shows (just by
glancing at DVD covers) that have a sniper, a somewhat unlikely high-tech,
highly individualistic character engaged in a contest of will power and
smarts with a Japanese counterpart. LIANG JIAN features an unorthodox,
foul-mouthed and charismatic commander who is so unlike the typical
perfect but stiff war heroes of the past that it has perhaps
revolutionized the depiction of communist war heroes for the China. MY
REGIMENT, MY COMMANDER can only be described as a deconstructionist,
self-reflexive ramble, which portrays Chinese soldiers as woefully
unprepared and Ah Q-like human beings caught in stampedes. I would say
that recent TV shows about the war tend to be more self-flexive and show
grudging respect for the Japanese for their competence, determination and
superior weapons and training. The pleasure is in beating a competent
rival when the odds are against you, not so much in denouncing their
cruelty. That seems to be in keeping with the recent self image of China
vis-a-vis Japan. The key word here is competition. Of course, there is
plenty of completely unwatchable stuff too, but I doubt that it can
attract many viewers.

Adrian Song Xiang

From: Lily Lee <l.lee at sydney.edu.au>
Subject: Beijing's dangerous game (6)

Living memory means the memory of those who are still living. It does not
matter what percentage of the population those living constitute.

Lily