MCLC: Japanese books removed from sale (1)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Tue Sep 25 11:02:03 EDT 2012

MCLC LIST
From: A. E. Clark <aec at raggedbanner.com>
Subject: Japanese books removed from sale (1)

This could be a textbook example of a maladaptive response.

Three possible interpretations:

a)  The boycott rests on a failure to recognize the non-substitutability
which makes information differ from other goods.  Suppose that, feeling
wronged by Patagonia, I boycott wool from Patagonian alpacas.  This may be
silly, but it is not absurd:  the essential functions of that wool can be
met by wool originating elsewhere.  But if Patagonia is creating a
political problem for me, and I boycott information from or about
Patagonia, I am putting myself at a disadvantage which cannot be remedied
by, for example, becoming knowledgeable about France.

b) The boycott rests on incuriosity, a belief that Chinese do not need to
learn anything about Japan and the Japanese.  This would be a surprising
reaction to international tensions.

c)  The boycott -- or more exactly, the pressure from those who have
caused the boycott -- arises from a calculation that a lack of knowledge
will make it easier to do certain things.

The article names stores that have pulled books from their shelves.  It
would be nice to hear about the stores that have not done so, but I guess
such a report would expose the rational booksellers to heightened pressure.