MCLC: castration in literature and film (7,8,9)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Sat Sep 15 09:37:55 EDT 2012

MCLC LIST
From: Pieter Keulemans <paizek at yahoo.com>
Subject: castration in literature and film (7)

Seminal, in early Chinese literature on castration, is Sima Qian's letter
to Ren'an in which he explains how he chooses the shame of being castrated
over being executed, important because castration becomes the precondition
for writing itself.

From: Rujie Wang <rwang at wooster.edu>
Subject: castration in literature and film (8)

There is also an eunuch in Chen Kaige's Farewell My Concubine, very loyal
to Qing imperial court and a pedophile.

From: connie cook <conniba at gmail.com>
Subject: castration in literature and film (9)

How about symbolic castration of Dieyi in "Farewell My Concubine" when his
prostitute mom slices off his extra finger and then he is later turned
into a girl?

Connie