MCLC: Taiwan Week

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Fri Sep 14 08:32:18 EDT 2012

MCLC LIST
From: Jenny T. Wang <jennwang at eden.rutgers.edu>
Subject: Taiwan Week

Hello,

My name is Jenny Wang. I am a recent graduate of Rutgers University with a
major in Communication and minor in Asian studies.

Taiwan Week, a week we hope will promote awareness about Taiwan's position
in the global community, will kick off in New York City on Friday,
September 14 and end with an inspiring rally in Times Square on Saturday,
September 22.

It would be an honor and privilege if you could assist my team of
Taiwan-loving young professionals (we have many RU graduates on your
team!) in promoting our Taiwan Week events.

Throughout the week, there will be various events for all ages, including
a photo shoot, social mixers, a round table discussion and even a live
concert. There will also be United Nations Sit-Ins from September 18 to
the 21, from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM EST at 47th Street and 1st Avenue, as
well as Ralph Baunche Park at 42nd Street and 1st Avenue. The biggest and
final event of the week will be the UN for Taiwan Rally, to be held on
Saturday, September 22nd in Times Square on 7th Avenue and 41st-42nd
Street from 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM EST.

The UN for Taiwan Rally, a unique rally that will not only be fun but also
informative, will engage everyone to raise and create awareness about
Taiwan?s position in the global community. Everyone is cordially invited
to take part in the rally. Enticing performances and fun chants will take
place throughout the event. Hundreds of supporters are expected to take
part in the rally. To portray how serious the movement is and to convey a
sense of unity, the crowd and all participants are encouraged to suit up.

Taiwan, a country with a population of 23 million people, values freedom,
democracy and human rights. As of now, Taiwan is not a member of the
United Nations although it fulfills all the criteria for a nation-state as
defined in the 1933 Montevideo Convention: a defined territory, a
permanent population and a government that is capable of entering into
relations with other states. The Taiwanese American Council and the
Formosan Association of Foreign Affairs would like to use the UN for
Taiwan Rally as a day to show people what they can do to ignite a change
regarding Taiwan?s membership in the United Nations.

The Taiwanese American Council of Greater New York (TAC-NY) is a
coordinated committee of all the Taiwanese organizations in Greater New
York. TAC-NY sponsors a variety of events including, but not limited to,
CATUN, Passport to Taiwan and UN for Taiwan.

The Formosan Association for Public Affairs (FAPA) is a 501 (c) (3)
non-profit organization that: Promotes international support for the right
of the people of Taiwan to establish an independent and democratic country
and to join the international community; Promotes relations and
cooperation between Taiwan and the U.S.; Protects the right of
self-determination for people of Taiwan; Promotes peace and security for
Taiwan and advances the rights and interests of Taiwanese communities
throughout the world.

For more information about FAPA-YPG and its advocacy for Taiwan, please
visithttp://www.fapaypg.org <http://www.fapaypg.org/>.

For additional information regarding Taiwan Week and the UN for Taiwan
Rally, please kindly refer to http://www.un4tw.org <http://www.un4tw.org/>.

Contact: Jenny Wang
Email: info at un4tw.org
(215) 932  5485