MCLC: A Common Strangeness

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Tue Jun 26 09:01:38 EDT 2012

MCLC LIST
From: kirk (denton.2 at osu.edu)
Subject: A Common Strangeness

List members might be interested in this new publication, which deals in
part with contemporary Chinese poetry.

Kirk

A Common Strangeness: Contemporary Poetry, Cross-Cultural Encounter,
Comparative Literature
By Jacob Edmond
New York: Fordham University Press, 2012.

Abstract: Why is our world still understood through binary
oppositions‹East and West, local and global, common and strange‹that ought
to have crumbled with the Berlin Wall? What might literary responses to
the events that ushered in our era of globalization tell us about the
rhetorical and historical underpinnings of these dichotomies? In A Common
Strangeness, Jacob Edmond exemplifies a new, multilingual and multilateral
approach to literary and cultural studies. He begins with the entrance of
China into multinational capitalism and the appearance of the Parisian
flâneur in the writings of a Chinese poet exiled in Auckland, New Zealand.
Moving among poetic examples in Russian, Chinese, and English, he then
traces a series of encounters shaped by economic and geopolitical events
from the Cultural Revolution, perestroika, and the June 4 massacre to the
collapse of the Soviet Union, September 11, and the invasion of Iraq. In
these encounters, Edmond tracks a shared concern with strangeness through
which poets contested old binary oppositions as they reemerged in new,
post­Cold War forms.

http://fordhampress.com/detail.html?id=9780823242603