MCLC: railways in literature (1,2,3)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Mon Jun 18 03:56:14 EDT 2012

MCLC LIST
From: Kenny Ng Kwok Kwan <hmkng at ust.hk>
Subject: railways in literature (1)

Zhang Henshui's Shanghai Express is another work in case.

It's great that someone has noticed Li Jieren's work. I have been working
on his Great Wave and the trilogy.

I wonder if some late Qing novels on Chinese immigrants in North America
relate to the railway constructions there. I am sure experts in the field
will point it out for you.

Kenny NG
HKUST

From: Kristin E Stapleton <kstaple at buffalo.edu>
Subject: railways in literature (2)

I believe there is a section of Li Boyuan's Wenming xiaoshi (李伯元文明小史)
that
involves a foreign (Italian?) railroad engineer traveling through the late
Qing countryside causing disturbances (there is a similar scene in Eliot's
Middlemarch).  But it's not a prominent part of the novel, as I recall.
Zhang Henshui has short stories that feature trains, most famously in
"Shanghai Express."

By the way, a new edition of Li Jieren's complete works is out.  Here is
the information for those fellow Jieren fans out there (forwarding a
message to me from the editor):

《李劼人全集》在去年辛亥革命百年纪念由四川文艺出版社出版了,李劼人研究学会少量
的书
已经发完,你们学校若要买,只好与出版社直接联系。具体联系方式是:
     四川文艺出版社有限公司
     开户银行:工行金牛支行
       帐号:4402243009004873297
      地址:四川成都市槐树街2号
      邮编:610031
       电话:(028)86259285  传真:(028)86259297
      另外:去年我们还编辑出版了《李劼人研究2011》。
      祝好!
                                                             张义奇
                                                          2012.1.28于成都

Kristin

From: michelle yeh (mmyeh at ucdavis.edu)
Subject: railways in literature (3)

This may be later than the period you are interested in--Zhu Xining wrote a
short story "Molten Iron" (Tie3 jiang1) in Taiwan in the 1950s, set against
the background of the introduction of railways to a small town in north
China.

Michelle