MCLC: Hollywood films in Republican China (1,2,3)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Sun Jul 22 13:45:40 EDT 2012

MCLC LIST
From: James Carter <jcarter at sju.edu>
Subject: Hollywood films in Republican China (1)

I don't know of a catalog of titles, but I was working recently with the
North-China Herald, le Journal de Shanghai, and The China Press and all of
them had extensive movie listings.
Jay

James Carter

From: Wagner, Rudolf <wagner at asia-europe.uni-heidelberg.de>
Subject: Hollywood films in Republican China (2)

The Shenbao had ads for all of these films. As a fulltext on-line version
(actually, two) of this paper exists, the best way would be to find a
library that has subscribed (in Germany, the Berlin State Library has
managed to acquire license that covers all Chinese Institutes), fish out
one ad to identify out of the way keywords, and compile the list. Problem:
identify the titles of the originals.

Best,

Rudolf Wagner

From: Bolick, Hsi-Chu H <bolick at email.unc.edu>
Subject: Hollywood films in Republican China (3)

 Here are a few leads:

*      Wang, Yong-fang et al., "A List of Foreign Films Shown in China,
1896-1924." In

Dianying: An Interdisciplinary Journal of Chinese Film Studies 1, Early
Chinese Cinema (I). Hong Kong Chinese Film Association, 1983 ( p. 260 +)
Chinese citation: 【书 名】中国电影研究
【作 者】香港中国电影学会
【出版社】香港中国电影学会
【出版日期】1983.12

Note: if you have access to the 讀秀 database, you can access this list
electronically.

*  申報,1872-1949*.

                 It has a monthly section for movies played in local
theaters in Shanghai, ie. 各影戲院之二月回顧, etc.   One, would have to make
his
/her own list browising though   this section,. Though.

                         *online version

*   Other resourcess: 《中華影業年鑑》1927, 《上海電影史料》, and 《上海電影
志》?

      Hsichu Bolick