MCLC: Jerry Norman

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Tue Jul 10 08:10:10 EDT 2012

MCLC LIST
From: marjorie chan (chan.9 at osu.edu)
Subject: Jerry Norman

Dear all --

I am very saddened to report the passing of Jerry Norman, Professor
Emeritus at University of Washington. He died on Saturday night (July 7).
He was a warm, caring, and patient teacher, with a ready smile and quiet
chuckle, for those of us who were fortunate to have been his students.
And, he is highly respected for his extensive publications and scholarship
in Chinese historical linguistics, Chinese dialectology (especially in the
Min-speaking areas of northern Fujian Province), as well as other research
areas (e.g., altaic linguistics, etc.).

Below, I pass along the message from his oldest daughter, Grace Norman.
The first paragraph was sent out on July 8, and the second and third
paragraphs were sent out on July 9.

It's with sadness that we report Jerry Norman died last night, July 7, at
10:45 PM. With him were his wife, Stella Chen Norman, his siblings,
children, and grandchildren. He died of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. He
was 75.

The funeral will be at Acacia Memorial Park in Seattle on Tuesday, July 10
at 10:30 AM. A memorial is planned for later in 2012.

In lieu of flowers, please donate to the Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation
(http://pulmonaryfibrosis.org) or a charity of your choice.

An online guest book for Professor Norman, "In Memory of Jerry Lee Norman
(July 16, 1936 - July 7, 2012)" is at:

http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dignity-memorial/obituary.aspx?n=Jerry-Nor
man&lc=7552&pid=158458960&mid=5163939&locale=en-US

Sincerely,
Marjorie Chan, Ohio State University