MCLC: The Pearl Jacket review (2)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Sat Jul 7 10:25:40 EDT 2012

MCLC LIST
From: Brendan O'Kane <bokane at bokane.org>
Subject: The Pearl Jacket review (2)

If the excerpts in the original review are at all representative, then the
text really is clunky, even by the low standards of Chinese-English
translation.

For years, I've wanted to run an experiment with ten editors and a single
English text translated from Chinese. Five of the editors would be given
the original translation; the other five would be given a copy of the same
text, but with all China-specific references removed and replaced with
English-native ones. I'm willing to bet literally ones of dollars that
"The Adventures of John Doe" would get a heavier edit than the obviously
Chinese "Zhang San Lixian Ji," and would be much better for it.

--Brendan