MCLC: OCR software for Chinese (2)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Tue Jan 31 08:27:25 EST 2012

MCLC LIST
From: marjorie chan (chan.9 at osu.edu)
Subject: OCR software for Chinese (2)

Dear all --

Another OCR software program for Chinese is ABBYY FineReader. The latest
version is version 11. I have used Readiris Pro 11 Asian Edition, but have
not tried ABBYY FineReader.

ABBYY FineReader 11 Pro has two potential advantages over Readiris Pro 11
(or the latest version, version 12):

1. It's cheaper (by about $100).
2. It has built into it recognition of a number of languages, including
Chinese:

http://finereader.abbyy.com/recognition_languages/

(By contrast, Readiris requires you to purchase the Asian edition for
Chinese OCR, and I have seen a lag time between the main product and the
Asian version.)

I have not used ABBYY FineReader but would be interested in trying it,
since it has built-in Chinese character recognition, and especially if it
can handle Hong Kong vernacular characters.

A third OCR software program for Chinese that has been around for many
years is TwinBridge's Dan Ching Chinese, Japanese & English OCR, now in
version 5. I don't know how it currently stacks up compared with the above
two programs.

Best,

Marjorie Chan <chan.9 at osu.edu>