MCLC: Qigong's quiet return (2)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Wed Jan 18 08:34:17 EST 2012

MCLC LIST
From: ian johnson (iandjohnson at gmail.com)
Subject: Qigong's quiet return (2)

Dear Christoph,

Thank you for your comments. China is a big place and perhaps our
frames of reference are different but I almost never see qigong
practiced in Beijing or other big cities nowadays--but we might be
going to different parks. Perhaps I'm overly influenced by my qigong
teacher, who avoids public practice because of the hassles she
experiences from over zealous bao'an, who inevitably come over to ask
if she's practicing FLG. We went once to Yuyuantan for some exercises
and the expression of surprise from passersby was audible, reinforcing
my feeling that it's rarely practiced in parks nowadays. This may also
be an overly Beijingcentric viewpoint of mine.

Best regards,
Ian Johnson