MCLC: China Heritage Quarterly, no. 28

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Mon Jan 16 10:10:22 EST 2012

MCLC LIST
From: geremie barme (geremie.barme at anu.edu.au)
Subject: China Heritage Quarterly, no. 28

China Heritage Quarterly
Issue 28 (December 2012) launched
Http://www.chinaheritagequarterly.org

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

This is the first time in the seven years that we have been producing
ŒChina Heritage¹ that an issue has been published some weeks after our
self-imposed deadline at the end of the quarter. I hope you will accept my
apologies, and find that this extended issue of ŒChina Heritage Quarterly¹
has been worth the wait.

This issue takes as its focus West Lake, the defining landscape of
Hangzhou, capital of one of China¹s richest provinces, Zhejiang. We
approach West Lake anew, not merely as a fabled dynastic Œleisure zone¹,
but more as a place where the pursuit of culture has constantly
intermingled with the practice of politics, where the wealth of its
denizens has risen and fallen in tandem with the economic strength of
Zhejiang and surrounds. It is a place where memory and nostalgia jostle
with the lived. While the constructed (and tirelessly reconstructed) past
may threaten to constrain the present, still the sheer physical variety
and beauty of the Lake and its environs even manage to thwart today¹s
cultural and political engineers.

In our extended Features section devoted to West Lake we also we introduce
ŒChina Heritage Glossary¹, an attempt to offer new insights into old
words, as well as providing alternative interpretations of new
expressions. In T¹ien Hsia we carry another chapter from Pierre Ryckmans¹
(Simon Leys) 1996 Boyer Lectures, this time the subject he address is
reading. We also reprint a powerful statement by the novelist Murong
Xuecun and pay further tribute to the translator, essayist and novelist
Yang Jiang. In Articles we conclude our retrospective on the Xinhai year
of 1911 by reproducing an essay on Luo Zhenyu (Lo Chen-yü) and the Waste
of Yin, while in New Scholarship we mark the online publication of ŒEast
Asian History¹, introduce important new websites, and carry a number of
conference and workshop reports.

Best wishes for 2012!

Geremie

Geremie R Barmé