MCLC: more on Confucius Institutes (2)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Thu Jan 12 08:37:07 EST 2012

MCLC LIST
From: sean macdonald <smacdon2005 at gmail.com>
Subject: more on Confucius Institutes (2)

I cannot really comment on the way Confucius Institutes work since I
haven't had direct contact with one. Neither can I comment on the way
sub-prime mortgages began as a tendency for investors in the US a few
years ago.

But it seems to me it is a good idea to put the project of oversees
educational institutions in some kind of context. Teaching language and
culture is fundamentally ideological. And not just for Chinese. TESL
(Teaching English and a Second Language) TESOL (Teaching English to
Speakers of Other Languages) has been going on for some time, it is a
robust global industry that has served as a model for other language
pedagogies.

Governments of English speaking countries like Britain, Canada and the US
(with regard to the States see for example
http://exchanges.state.gov/programs/english-language.html) sponsor
Language programs that also serve to promote the culture of the countries
and governments that sponsor them.

It is highly doubtful that professionals that work at these institutions
are given carte blanche to teach whatever the hell they want. The PRC is
certainly gaining economic and political strength. That they chose to
invest in centers to promote Chinese culture would seem to be par for the
course. Spreading national culture is hardly some kind of nefarious plan
of attack for global domination.

Just a thought

Sean