MCLC: more on Confucius Institutes (1)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Wed Jan 11 08:40:23 EST 2012

MCLC LIST
From: timothy pi <timothy.pi at epochtimes.com>
Subject: more on Confucius Institutes (1)

I particularly agree with David Branner's comments, cited in the Inside
Higher Ed article on Confucius' Institutes:

David Prager Branner, a Chinese lexicographer and adjunct associate
professor at Columbia University, said it is a fallacy to believe
that "taking money from the Chinese government will have no long-term
consequences.

"But I think this is like taking out a subprime mortgage or buying
everything on credit without paying off the full debt: it may seem
like a good deal at first, but it will surely have consequences we
may not be able to foresee at the outset. In order to try to
anticipate those consequences we need to ask: why would China be
willing to spend so much money to set these organizations up?
Specifically, why does China consider this to be in its national
interest and why would it be in America’s national interest?"

Here's another short piece on Confucius Institutes:

Fear and confusion over China's Confucius Institutes Uncut Index on
Censorship (USA)

http://uncut.indexoncensorship.org/2012/01/fear-and-confusion-over-chinas
-confucius-institutes/