MCLC: Foxconn lifts wages (5,6,7)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Fri Feb 24 08:59:17 EST 2012

MCLC LIST
From: joe alvaro <jjalvaro at student.cityu.edu.hk>
Subject: Foxconn lifts wages (5)

Regarding Bill Goldman's post:

I don't think anyone has the right to speak for 'many others on the list'
regarding what Bill Goldman or anyone else might write. Personally, I
enjoy Bill's Christian perspective on things and I certainly do support
his right to say what he thinks. This is what the list is about.

Should we second-guess the list moderator about what posts should or
shouldn't be allowed to see the light of day? For this, I trust the
arbitrator's judgement. List members who have lived in China know first
hand what censorship means -- and I, for one, hate it passionately. Maybe
I'm getting it wrong, but for me, the essence of this list is a spirited
dedication to the cultural, political, philosophical, artistic, literary
and social (yes, even religious!) freedoms of speech relevant to the
Chinese context. Can we keep it this way?

Joe Alvaro

From: coleen berry <j.colleen.berry at email.und.edu>
Subject: Foxconn lifts wages (6)

I would like to second Judy's remarks, especially in regard to the
Christian messages which I find both out of place and offensive. I'd much
prefer to see everyone stating their views without reference to their
religious beliefs and certainly without quoting scripture.

Colleen Berry

From: Bill (billgoldman at mac.com)
Subject: Foxconn lifts wages (7)

Response to Judy Amory's post:

Unless you are Humpty-Dumpty, the meanings of words surely have some
relate to their dictionary definitions, and when I look up the first
dictionary Google gives me, I find that while your stated meaning could
conform to definition 1, definition 2 is "serving to establish a
standard." - i.e. something like "normative". I think that a word like
"natural", or even just "usual", would have been more precise. I did not
put words in your mouth, but I think I inferred some of their possible
implications correctly.

Your remark "I think that's probably been a reality ever since the first
hunter-gatherer managed to hunt and gather a bit more than his or her
hungry neighbour." implies - perhaps not over-seriously - that human
societies began as competitive hunter-gatherer societies and gradually
progressed to what we have today, to capitalism. I question this
assumption. It is not a question of whether there are hunter-gatherer
societies in existence today, but of whether that is how human societies
began. So far as I know, we have no written descriptions or accounts of
ancient hunter-gatherer societies - the earliest ones being quite
different. Of course, you could argue that that is because such societies
don't write books or scrolls or keep records, if you wish to.

I don't know why, when I include some historical record, it is somehow
"Christian propaganda" rather than a true account of what happened. If
such facts as I instanced discomfort you for some reason, perhaps you
could think what is the reason. Of course I agree that energy is good,
though often misdirected - whether we are talking about "lust" or
"aggression". I was giving a historical example of energy directed to the
greater good, which perhaps ought to provoke you to think rather than to
dismiss it as Christian propaganda.

Bill