MCLC: Foxconn lifts wages (2)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Wed Feb 22 08:51:02 EST 2012

MCLC LIST
From: judith armory (jmamory at post.harvard.edu)
Subject: Foxconn lifts wages (2)

I think Autor is in agreement with you, Debbie. He doesn't say capitalism
"just works," but that the way "capitalism is supposed to work" is at odds
with the reality. The reality is that very often people's ethical beliefs
may be at odds with their immediate economic interests. I think that's
probably been a reality ever since the first hunter-gatherer managed to
hunt and gather a bit more than his or her hungry neighbor.

I once read somewhere that communism is an ideology, but capitalism is
normal human behavior (I have googled to try to find the source of that
quotation, but failed). I think it's true, and like other normal human
behaviors (agression, lust) it can bring benefits for society when highly
regulated, but produces suffering and injustice when given free rein.

Judy Amory