MCLC: stirring essay by Murong Xuecun (7)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Wed Aug 1 09:38:45 EDT 2012

MCLC LIST
From: Costas Kouremenos <enaskitis at gmail.com>
Subject: stirring essay by Murong Xuecun (7)

A short reply to A.E. Clark:

1
"With all due respect" is a standard rhetorical formula that introduces a
critique with a preliminary statement of respect towards the person whose
argument is criticized. So of course "one knows what's coming" when one
reads this phrase. The question is if that respect is sincere. Of course
it is. Let's only hope that criticizing an article while respecting its
author is a permitted combination in non-totalitarian countries.

2
"The fact they wouldn¹t let you speak proves that what you were saying is
true. This is practically a law of the Universe."

This is an abysmally wrong statement. It's exactly what European
revisionists say: "they have criminalized our negation of the WWII
genocide, ergo what we're saying is true".

Costas